Title: From the Sea
Author: Jae Kayelle
Feedback: writetosell@sasktel.net
Rating: PG-13
Pairing: Jack/?
Disclaimer: Disney's, Bruckheimer's. No profits made from this work of fiction.
Summary: Jack muses on an unexpected discovery.
Note: I left the pairing a mystery so as not to spoil the... can't call it a surprise exactly. Just read it. It's short and slashy, but it probably won't hurt even if it turns out not to be your fave. If you're familiar with my other PotC fics there is no not-surprise. *wink* And, yes, all of that made sense if you live inside my head.


From the Sea
by Jae Kayelle

* * *

Jack not only believed in mermaids, he'd once met one. Lovely lass she was, but hadn't talked much. He had never given much thought to mermen, however, but supposed there had to be some to keep the lasses company. After all, human men could only hold their breath for so long and then they drowned. He leaned back against the sun-warmed boulder and squinted at the vision rising hesitantly from the sea, and thought on this for a bit longer; at least until the prettiness got closer. Jack wanted to make certain he was real and not a figment of a slightly addled pirate's rum-soaked imagination.

Setting the bottle aside on the sand, he uncrossed his ankles and leaned forward with elbows on his drawn up knees to more closely regard the dripping form standing a few feet away. Couldn't be a genuine merman, he decided, as the skin was too fair. Surely it would be at least tinged with gold if he were real, and not merely reddening slightly about the face and chest. Besides he didn't have a tail. What kind of sea creature swam about without a tail for guidance? This one did have a nice body, though. Lean, tight muscles, those long limbs currently flexing nervously, and a few wet strands of chestnut hair clinging to his shoulders, not to mention the ever-so lovely appendage between his legs; he was a sculptor's dream. Jack was not a sculptor but wished he had his sketchbook at hand.

He gestured loosely from the wrist while he sought the words he needed. Meanwhile his brain registered the neat pile of clothing laid next to another rock several feet away.

Finally, he said, "It's not safe to swim alone, y'know." Then inspiration smacked him across the head and he scrambled to his feet, causing his new friend to regard him warily. Jack began stripping his clothing. Already divested of his hat, boots and coat, the better to enjoy his morning in the sun, he made quick work of his shirt and breeches. "Y'need a companion to wash yer back. Er, watch yer back."

In the space of mere seconds the expression on his merman's handsome face altered from wariness to annoyance to exasperation to something Jack couldn't quite place his finger on. Then something akin to a smirk appeared as the apparition lifted his hand, one forefinger beckoning. Jack drifted forward, mesmerized by the surprising invitation. He thought it would have taken more work and perhaps some rum.

His fantasy turned and walked back into the sea. Jack quickly caught up, reaching out with a questing hand just the once, just to make sure. Then they both dove under the gentle waves.


end



* * *